WMOC 2021 – COVID Update #3
29th March 2021
changes to the previous version are highlighted in yellow
Event status: WMOC 2021 is on track to be held.
Entry deadlines: The deadlines written in Bulletin 1 apply.
Current entry restrictions into Hungary: Non-Hungarian citizens who are participants of an international sports event held in Hungary can enter the country with a negative SARS-CoV-2 PCR test not older than 3 days.
Budapest’s Liszt Ferenc airport is open.
Current accommodation restrictions: Participants of international sports events are allowed to be accommodated.
- from 20:00 to 05:00 everybody is required to stay indoors, whether at home, at a temporary home, or an accommodation.
- Competitive athletes are exceptions for reasonable travel (between airport – event venue – accommodation).
- Face masks are mandatory in public spaces.
- Public areas, parks are open.
- Due to the 3rd wave of COVID-19, since 8th March all shops are closed, except grocery stores, pharmacies, drugstores, tobacco stores and petrol stations. Also, all services must remain closed, except private healthcare, social, financial, postal, and vehicle repair services.
- Restaurants, cafés, bars, and clubs are closed. Only take-out and delivery service is permitted. Restaurants at hotels for those staying in the hotel remain open.
- Elite sport events can still be organised, but without spectators.
COVID numbers in Hungary: (population of Hungary: appr. 10 million)
- Around 10,000 new cases daily.
- 221,002 active cases (up from 188,525 one week ago).
- 12,291 coronavirus patients are hospitalised (up from 11,276 one week ago).
- 1,920,347 people have been vaccinated (up from 1,589,612 one week ago), of which 689,392 have already received their second vaccination.
- On 8th March new restrictions were introduced in Hungary, which will be in force until 25% of the total Hungarian population get their 1st vaccine (around 10th April).
Gradual opening of the country is also bound to this number.
- The 3rd wave has begun in Hungary, the numbers are rising, the peak is expected in early April.
- The number of people vaccinated is growing by 3% every week.
- The beginning of the Hungarian orienteering season had to be postponed due to the rapidly growing number of infected people.
- EURO 2020 (Football Championships) in June 2021 will allow spectators for the matches to be held in Hungary, but only if they are vaccinated.
We are organising a survey with the IOF to get an estimation of the number of participants. Please help our work with filling out the survey!